Monday, April 10, 2006

Open Wider Please

So I got braces at age 24. Yes, I feel as if my mouth is full of marbles every time I talk. And I do end up creating a lot of artificial rainfall (meaning saliva showers) whenever I open my mouth. I can have only cornflakes for breakfast (that takes me back to horrid school days when I had to have milk and cornflakes at 6 am before running out to catch the bus with only half my hair plaited, but I digress). For lunch and dinner, I can have only have rice with curds. Bad enough I don't have access to anything that requires the least bit of chewing (God, that rules out chocolates, popcorn, chips, biscuits - how am I going to survive?) and my colleagues only make it worse.
I had my superior asking me for an exclusive story - apart from your braces, he said and laughed like a donkey. I had others laugh away at me when my teeth were hurting like hell and my lips had become absolutely sore.
Over the weekend, I felt I was getting used to it and was feeling much better.
And now today, my silly colleagues tell me that my braces have gone yellow. "They (your yellow braces) are a shock," said a colleague helpfully. I said may be, it's the haldi in our food, can't help it. It will colour the plastic. I noticed it too, said anotehr, but I didin't say anything. Great, I said.
So here I am in blogland looking for a shoulder to cry on, to help me through the next 6-12 months that these devices will be in my face.
I suppose I could turn around and tell my colleagues that my braces may look yellow, but your teeth ARE yellow and a very deep shade at that. But that wouldn't be me. So I guess I will just keep shut and wait for the day when they come off. And hopefully then, I will have the last laugh, pun totally intended.

14 Comments:

Blogger mad angles said...

Go girl! You can totally tell her about the excessively dark shade of yellow in her teeth. But you're right, even without that, you shall have the last laugh - literally and metaphorically. (meta: when we leave this fuckhole and they're still languishing there)

5:34 AM  
Blogger 8 by 52 said...

Essar: I don't know when that is going to happen. But I wish it would happen this month, you know.

6:13 AM  
Blogger mad angles said...

Now that someone else has dropped the bomb, I too want a similar bomb to drop. Can we like go beg to that guy? I really want to. Else, I shall take up one of those door-to-door salesmanship jobs.

6:01 AM  
Blogger 8 by 52 said...

There, he goes off again in the background. Does he think we are in kindergarten? The joy of handing in your resignation to an irritating boss must be immense. I hope I am able to experience that soon. Btw, let's check out those sites which let you slap your boss and give him a makeover. Will help us feel much better, I tell you.

6:11 AM  
Blogger Hyde said...

There was a time when I broke my jaw and three of my front teeth. The good dentist wired my jaws together so tightly that drinking liquids was the only thing I could do.

Other than mutter through slightly parted lips- Don't make me talk!

10:57 PM  
Blogger sanguine said...

came here via swb's blog .
very honest reads here . will be comin here for more.
cheers

2:15 AM  
Blogger 8 by 52 said...

hyde: I am counting all my blessings already. I continue to yap and bitch at my usual pace, if not faster.
richa: Thanks.

4:32 AM  
Blogger Hyde said...

There is nothing like another's adversity to make one realise one's fortunes! Grin.

4:58 AM  
Blogger 8 by 52 said...

Hyde: Would like to know how you managed to break it...

5:58 AM  
Blogger Hyde said...

I don't mind telling; I don't think you would want to read it.

Now that I have piqued your curiosity, check the episode guide for October 2005. It is called "The Curious Incident Of A Dog On The Road".

10:43 AM  
Blogger 8 by 52 said...

Hyde: You're right. Made me feel very queasy.

4:32 AM  
Blogger AB said...

Now who's the person at the receiving end of your and Essar's comments?

5:06 AM  
Blogger 8 by 52 said...

Who else do you think? Our dear boss who happens to be a good friend of yours.

8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank God you are back in blogland

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home