Thursday, January 04, 2007

Growing Up

Tears come naturally to me. I have cried in school, in college and yes, in office too.
I was in Delhi when my Class XII result was declared. I was staying with my uncle who had just shifted base from Pune and they were yet to get a landline. So my mum had rung up my aunt's place and then both my aunts arrived, with the result, to my uncle's place in the evening. They handed me a Post-It with my marks on it and I don't think I had gone beyond the first line before tears started rolling down my cheeks, thick and fast. R, 11 years younger, was the only person with me in the room and she held my hand and kept on saying with the innocence only a child can possess, "I will never study. I will become a dancer."
Despite her efforts and later my parents' over the phone (Uncle had returned from office with his cell), I cried for the next seven hours. In the morning, my eyes would hardly open, the left one having swollen to a potato's size. Dad, who was also in Delhi then, but at a different place, arrived around 10 and hugged me and told me not to worry.
I cried every night for the next two weeks. I was only 17 and staying away from home for the first time. Since I didn't have any privacy there, I would wait for everyone to fall asleep, then softly cry into the pillow.
My relatives didn't make it any easier with their comments. "Why don't you take up Home Science? That's the best subject for girls." Or "Why don't you join some translation course at IGNOU?''
Somehow, however, things worked out. I cleared the cut-off required to take the English entrance test at a decent college by a tiny margin of 0.25%. I got through.
Something similar happened yesterday. I surpassed my own expectations in two sections of an exam, but the third section was absolute disaster which just pulled my total down. When I first saw the marks, my heart sank, I could feel the tears welling up. I left my job, stayed at home for six months and now, this? I knew I was about to disintegrate.
But something happened as I was making my way up the stairs from the cyber cafe in the basement. I told myself that I would talk to my parents first without crying. I did. I spoke to my brother. I spoke to S, giggling and laughing.
I met up with S. She asked me if I had cried, I said I would probably do so at night.
At night, I reached home, told my grandparents amd then went into my room. Chatted again with S and M, discussed Hindi film songs from the 80s with the former and Kabul Express with the latter.
I finally went to bed around 1.30, but the tears didn't come. I thought about everything that had happened, I thought about my future, but I didn't cry.
And then I thought, perhaps, this not-so-good result may have done what 25 years of living hasn't- made me grow up.
I thought about what Mum said. You did your best and that was important. S said giving my job was a risk I had to take if I didn't want to have any regrets at 50. And Dad asked me to have faith in God. I do.

17 Comments:

Blogger mad angles said...

And bravo. Like I said earlier, at least we gave it a shot. At least, this way I know, we won't be saying at age 50 when we're married to soem fuckhead and when our kids want to put us in old age homes - "why didnt I take that chance." We did. And you know what, if there is a god he will ensure that everything works out professionally, that we wont be married to a fuckhead and you know what, there is a god.

7:29 AM  
Blogger mad angles said...

..forgot to add. But this is something I realised these last few months. That the fuckall-est of events can actually have a lot of positive effects. The last year for instance, has really really made me grow up so much.

7:30 AM  
Blogger SwB said...

Oh Viv, if only you knew the story of my life...

Btw, I have this friend Vicky (see him in my orkut pics)who was a brilliant student - did miserable the first time, second time he cracked it (he's at JBIMS in Bom now) - and he took 2 years off from a high-paying IT job to do it.

y'know, you and thr grinch are a teriffic bunch of gals. Wish you were here.

Shine on!

8:24 PM  
Blogger 8 by 52 said...

Ok, I am feeling much better already even though it hasn't even been two days.

SR: Yup, we did. And we managed to retain our sanity through it all.

The kind of work we were doing and more importantly, the kind of people we were working with, had really restricted our growth. At least, we realised that and tried to correct it.

SwB: You are welcome to narrate it!
I suppose I could try again next year, but I feel I am a bit too old for that.
Oh, and if I do make it through another exam, I may well land up in your city.

11:57 PM  
Blogger SwB said...

Wot old you're talking babe!! ... i am bludy freakin old!

You want to come here ... you're welcome anytime :)

*tight hug*

9:53 PM  
Blogger 8 by 52 said...

Age is more a matter of perspective than anything else...

6:24 AM  
Blogger SwB said...

yes it is, O wise one :)

8:28 PM  
Blogger 4wD said...

ha ha :) thats funny. I find it funny not cos i'm mean or anything. But cos i flunked my way thru most of my educational life. Look at it this way, we'll never be engineers or doctors or anything, but the world need dreams more, yea?

so why do you know who i am? And who do you think i am? If you do know, just email me, dont post it in public yea ha ha :)

3:04 AM  
Blogger 8 by 52 said...

SwB: Yup, I can feel the halo around my head expanding... Wisdom is all I can claim to have right now:-)
Ninja: We can never be engineers or doctors and thank God for that... But I believe we must be good at whatever we choose to be and when that doesn't happen, it's disappointing.
And don't worry, I won't let the cat out of the bag!

11:22 PM  
Blogger n.g. said...

welcome to the jungle hell yeah. attagirl, vagerah vagerah. youve done a bit of the hard bit, so pat on the back. now for the rest.

10:30 AM  
Blogger 4wD said...

but i'm curious to see if you're right or wrong. and if you're right, who the hell you are heh heh

3:14 AM  
Blogger 8 by 52 said...

Ng: Thank you, shank you hai ji...

UBN: It's not like I have any doubt about it! I know.

6:15 AM  
Blogger 4wD said...

really ? hmmm .

is your email address on your blog?

3:16 AM  
Blogger 8 by 52 said...

No, it isn't. You could tell me yours.

6:19 AM  
Blogger 4wD said...

fasterjamesfaster@yahoo.co.in


write me

2:29 AM  
Blogger 4wD said...

whoa.

12:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi.. why have u stopped updating ur blog... u write beautifully .. why dnt u try ur hand at writing a book or something.. by the way i hv got this crazy habit of reading every blog i come accross and by far urs is the best......

5:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home