Monday, June 23, 2008

The end of an era

Why is that each time I go to Mumbai they close down my favourite theatres in Delhi?

In December, they closed down Chanakya which was for most Delhiites nothing short of an institution and no comparison to those drawing-room sized overpriced garish monstrosities called multiplexes.

This time, as I discovered the other day in Nehru Place, they have closed down Paras. My Paras. A theatre where if at 3.20 I decided I wanted to watch a movie, I could actually leave, catch an auto, reach the theatre, buy the tickets and the popcorn and be seated in time for the movie to start at 3.30.

A theatre where a balcony ticket still cost you Rs 60.

A theatre where the staff was so caring that when I went to watch Rang De Basanti the day Nana came back from hospital, they ensured that I got a seat next to ladies and was seated comfortably as I was watching the movie alone.

Between the two of these theatres, I must have seen just about every Hindi movie that I ever saw in Delhi.
Let me count.
Paras. Hmmm...
Aitraaz
Kisna
Hulchul
Paheli
Rang De Basanti
Shaadi Se Pehle
Karam
Khakee
Yuva
Bunty aur Babli (twice and on consecutive days)

Oh, and that Godawful rip-off of Anger Management where Salman Khan and Akshay Kumar dance in grass skirts.

And many more.

Chanakya, much lesser but nonetheless...
The greatest Hindi film ever made Neal N Nikki
The Rising
No Entry
Taxi number 9211
Goal
Khoya Khoya Chand
American Desi (that's the first movie I saw there)
Dhoom
Fida
Chak de India

Many of these movies I watched alone and no one ever bothered me.

Now, the shutters are down on both of them and my last hopes are pinned on Sangam where I have watched
Munnabhai MBBS
Dhoom 2
Phir Milenge
Lageraho Munnabhai
And a few more.

Chanakya is going to be razed and the NDMC is planning to replace it with an ugly multiplex. And Paras may re-open but I would not count on it. Sangam may be closed down any time to make way for a multiplex.

Makes me feel nostalgic and sad. The only thing that could make me feel better is the taste of the popcorn that they used to serve at Chanakya washed down with a bottle of Catch Clear Blackberry/Black Currant flavoured-water.

Alas, it's all gone. Never to return.

6 Comments:

Blogger RahulG said...

That's the story ... morning glory. Eeeaaih. Well, as interesting as always. Makes me nostalgic about such cinema halls in my city. And you can never (at least not me) form that bond or attachment with these correctly-pointed-out-by-you overpriced multiplexes. Anyway. Hey, which movie did we see in Sangam?

9:54 AM  
Blogger AB said...

Newsflash: You did NOT see that damn film Fida alone!

11:43 AM  
Blogger 8 by 52 said...

No, AB I did not see it alone :) I think both S and you accompanied me as did a fourth person whom I can't recall. So what's up?

12:32 PM  
Blogger AB said...

S was also there for Fida? Nah I don't think so! And a fourth person was never there! Your memory fails you. Nothing a swollen jaw and an inability to stretch my lips to even smile:-X

12:35 AM  
Blogger 8 by 52 said...

Oh yeah, S was there for Dhoom 2 but wasn't there a movie that four of us saw? It's been so long since then that I have actually forgotten.

How did you manage to get your jaw swollen?

4:21 AM  
Blogger AB said...

Wisdom tooth extraction...

5:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home